Dr. Dwayne L. Buckingham gives back
Dr. Buckingham is well known among his family and friends as a philanthropist. He has donated his money and time to make life better for other people.
In 2015, Dr. Buckingham founded The Empathy and Resilience Center (TERC), Inc., a nonprofit 501(c) (3), faith-based organization that provides easily accessible, affordable, and integrated behavioral health services to military veterans, underserved, underinsured, and disadvantaged individuals suffering from emotional distress and psychological trauma.
The philosophy of TERC is centered on the belief that it is impossible to care for, help, or empower individuals if you cannot envision what life would be like if you walked in their shoes. We believe that empathy is an indispensable interpersonal skill that is needed to help individuals prosper and thrive in all aspects of life. Through compassionate and high-quality care, we focus on restoring the psychological health of all humans and fostering resilience.
We work diligently to reduce healthcare disparities and to prevent all manner of violence, including crimes against people. We serve people from all ethnic groups who fall within one or more of the following categories:
- Underserved, underinsured, and disadvantaged individuals suffering from behavioral or emotional distress
- Victims of large scale community violence
- Veterans and their families suffering from PTSD
- Individuals and communities impacted by oppression, discrimination, and racism
- Victims of domestic violence
- Urban youth suffering from the impact of neighborhood violence
- Grieving individuals
- Individuals suffering from relationship or marital distress
Although we provide service to all minority and ethnic groups in variety of easily accessible settings, TERC is also currently integrating into churches in order to serve African Americans who are suffering from psychological distress associated with historical and current oppression and social injustices.
Visit: The Empathy and Resilience Center website for more information about ways in which you can help and support.